* – These recipes are for those people using this page who are of legal drinking age in your particular jurisdiction.
Hot Buttered Rum
Just like it says, it’s hot, it has rum and of course butter. Butter, the natural indulgent food item, right up there with bacon. I suppose no one has made “Hot Baconed Rum”, but it might be in the horizon.
Preparing the Batter
Ingredients (makes eight servings):
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tsp nutmeg or mace
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cloves
- 1⁄8 tsp salt
- Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly
- Refrigerate in a sealed air-tight container for up to two months. This mixture may also be frozen for up to one year before using.
Preparing the Cocktail
Ingredients (serves one):
- 2 tbsp refrigerated Hot Buttered Rum batter
- 6 oz boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 oz dark rum
- 1 tbsp light cream (optional)
- nutmeg, to garnish
- Spoon batter into a hot beverage mug, add boiling water and stir well until dissolved
- Add rum and cream (if using) and stir
- Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg